28 March 2012

Mottephobia


Is a moth naive hurling itself towards a candle light?
Did it waste its life as it expires in the flame?
Well, yeah.
But that’s only one way of looking at it.

A moth is drawn to light. Light is warmth and brightness. It’s purity and innocence. It’s clarity and transparency. I praise a moth for seeking light. I praise it for its instinctual desire to reach a higher level of existence. I praise it for its quest to rid itself of darkness, for its refusal to settle down with the shade.

Yes, it dies. Once it touches that flame, it expires. But what doesn’t! Every living thing dies. Every living thing has an end. This is the only rule of life. This is the only certainty in the world. At least the moth dies in glory. At least it achieves its goal. It acquires warmth and purity. Is there a better ending to a life?

We are the same. We seek light and search for warmth and purity. We desire clarity and transcendence. We would rather live in a radiant world of glow and affection, than a gloomy world of darkness and loneliness. Unfortunately most of us don’t have enough willpower and courage to actively pursue such an ultimate quest. Most of us settle down with whatever we’re given by our fortunes. Most of us fear living like a moth.

If I had wings, I would fly towards the sun just as a moth flies towards a flame. I would never stop until I reach my destination. I would sacrifice my physical being to such a meaningful and spirited end.